Saturday, July 24, 2010

Just Plain Stupid

I shopped at a large North Coast retailer yesterday (you get to guess which one), and bought a pair of shoes. I really, really wanted those shoes. For a change, the price was the same as I would pay for them online.

Then I wanted to buy some peds to go in the shoes. The ones I liked best were thick cotton, three to a pack, $9 a pack. So they're $3 a pair. Doesn't take a brain surgeon, or even me, with my limited math ability, to figure that one out.

I wanted two packages of the black ones, but there was only one full package. The other package had two pairs in it instead of three. So I figured, well, I'll just take these up to the register and pay $6 and get the two pairs of peds.

I get to the register, explain the situation to the cashier. Nope, he couldn't handle it, had to call a supervisor. She didn't have enough authority to say the deal was OK (for $6 worth of socks??) so he had to call HER supervisor.

The chief wookie supervisor handed down her verdict: she'd give me 10% off.

Huh? Thirty-three percent of the product, i.e. one whole pair of socks, was missing and she'd give me 10% off?

I turned to the lady behind me and said, "Do I have 'STUPID' written on my forehead?" She said "No."

I turned to the cashier kid and asked the same question. He just shook his head "No."

I was so flummoxed I forgot to tell him where the supervisor could put the socks (I have no doubt they'll fit nicely, probably with room left over), paid for my shoes, and left.

What I don't get is this: With people that dense in managerial positions, how the hell has that company ever managed to stay in business? It's downright scary.

Click here to see Elleda's photography at the Astoria Photografpix web site

1 comment:

Wende said...

Ooh... I'm guessing Fred Meyer. *cringe*