Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Sam Bucks vs. Goliath

The big tempest in a coffee pot lately here in Astoria is Starbucks going after a local coffee-shop owner who named her shop Sam Bucks. Okay, so her maiden name is Samantha Buck, but the judge was not amused.

I've never been to Sam Bucks (or whatever the shop will now be called), but I do know there's a Starbucks at the Safeway store. And I really don't think any local, or even any tourist with half a brain, is going to confuse the two shops, but she lost the suit anyway.

However, there is a silver lining in the cloud. In today's Daily Astorian, it appears that Starbucks is not going to go after Sam Bucks for legal fees, which could potentially be in the hundreds of thousands.

And I can't help but think that's a smart move on Starbucks' part. Last night I did a blog search using just the word "astoria." What popped up were at least 50 blogs about Sam Buck's battle with Starbucks, and the feeling towards Starbucks was, shall we say, less than positive.

I've been here in Astoria for a year, and since I don't drink coffee (I'm allergic to caffeine, more's the pity), I didn't even know there was a Sam Bucks. But I DID know there was a Starbucks in town. Now I'm going to make a point of finding Sam Buck's shop and seeing if they have any decaf. I bet a cup of underdog decaf tastes a hell of a lot better than the best mega-inflated-priced decaf Starbucks has to offer.

Astoria Photografpix

No comments: