Sunday, December 11, 2005

Astoria Victoria

Last Saturday night we went to the newly renovated Liberty Theatre to see John Doan perform his Victorian Christmas show. Ah, it was a fine evening, with lots of historical notes and slides about the Victorian era, and even better, he played several instruments from that space in time.

Best of all, there was none of the politically correct crap I loathed in L.A., i.e. Christmas was unabashedly called Christmas, and it was a Christmas celebration. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have a religious bone in my body, but I do love all of the traditions and hoopla that go with Christmas. And, it was very nice to see it just "out there" for all of us in the audience to enjoy again.

It was particularly lovely, and touching, when he had the audience sing along to the old carols while he played those funky old musical instruments. People just don't DO that any more, at least in L.A. -- LaLaLanders are in mortal fear of offending someone, anyone, whoever, however. Christmas in L.A. is bad enough with the drive-by shootings, palm trees, and relentless sun, without having to even think about who the hell you just MIGHT POSSIBLY be offending by enjoying a little Christmas spirit.

Anyway, you can see who John Doan is, and hear snippets of his music on his website, johndoan.com

In Astoria, Christmas is alive and well, and not just in the Liberty Theatre. The other night I was taking the doggies out back, and was hearing all kinds of whoops and strange beeping noises in the night. Rather like a fire department siren, but there was no pattern to it. As I was scratching my head, wondering what the hell was going on, I heard a loud voice over a P.A. system announcing, "Merry Christmas from the Astoria Fire Department!" The voice echoed over the river, and sounded like it was right in my back yard. It was grand. Yup, we can sing Noel in Astoria, all right.

Astoria Photografpix

No comments: